3 Quick Tricks To Make Drinking Water A Healthy Habit

According to the European Food Safety Authority, adequate water intake for sedentary individuals is 2 litres per day for women and 2.5 litres per day for men. This increases with hot weather, physical activity and if pregnant.

Water makes up about 60-70% of our body, and is needed for a vast range of bodily processes. In fact, too much loss of water is life-threatening.

Even mild dehydration of 1-2% of body water can affect alertness, concentration and short-term memory function, as well as mood and feelings of anxiety and irritability. It can also lead to headache or dizziness, due to reduced total blood volume and dehydration in the brain tissues, and can trigger migraines and prolong them.

To check if you’re sufficiently hydrated, look at the colour of your urine. This should ideally be a clear pale yellow.

If not, here are 3 tricks to help you get your daily water quota:

1) Supplement your water intake with water-rich fruits and vegetables

About 80% of our daily water intake comes from drinking; the other 20% comes from food. Vegetables such as lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes and fresh fruits like blueberries, apples and oranges are rich in water and loaded with nutrients and minerals too.

2) Add flavour to your water

Try adding lemon, lime, cucumber, strawberries, kiwi fruit, ginger, mint or a combination of them to your water. Or try cold brew fruit teas.

3) Track your water with a bottle

If you don’t track your consumption, you’ll likely not drink enough. An easy way is to use a bottle and work out how many of them you need to drink through the day to hit your target.

4) Bonus trick: Drink warm water in the winter months

Many people prefer hot drinks such as tea and coffee in the cooler months, but these can be dehydrating. Try drinking warm water instead; you might find it a lot easier.

Why not book a consultation for a general review of your nutrition with Veronica Lim who is partnered with PTF as our nutritionist.

Email LimeSt.FitnessCentre@willistowerswatson.com to book.