Exercise of the Month – Single Leg Deadlift
A progression from the standard deadlift, this exercise targets the gluteus maximus, hamstrings and lower back. At the same time it is a great exercise for working the core.
You can perform this exercise using a kettlebell, dumbbell or even are barbell. Alternatively for beginners you can perform the movement without any added resistance and gradually introduce once you become confident and have better balance.
1. Stand with feet together and holding chosen weight in front of the thigh. Lift leg slightly so foot is just off the floor
2. Lower torso forward and downward, at the same time raising the lifted leg backwards.
3. Keep hip and knee of lifted leg extended throughout the movement. Once the weight (or hand if no weight used) touched the floor, return to start position by raising torso and lowering the lifted leg
3. As you gradually become upright, straighten the knee of the supporting leg.
4. Repeat desired number of repetitions maintaining the correct form throughout
The full range of motion will vary from person to person. Therefore the weight should only be lowered to the point of a mild stretch in the hamstrings. If needed throughout the movement, when standing upright the elevated foot can be put on the floor to help with balance.