Exercise of the Month – Kettlebell Swing
Kettlebells have been around for over 300 years and are a great training tool. This exercise focuses on working the muscles in the lower body, your core including the lower back and shoulders.
Those exercising at all levels can use this exercise. It is recommended for beginners to start with a lighter weight and gradually build up the repetitions before increasing the load.
1. Stand over the kettlebell with feet slightly wider than shoulder width. Squat down with arms fully extended between the legs and grasp with and overhand grip
2. Pull the kettlebell up off the floor, slightly forward just above ankle height
3. Immediately dip down, swinging the kettlebell under the hips and then raise the upper body and extend the legs to swing forward
4. Continue to swing the kettlebell, aiming for each repetition to be at head level
5. To complete the exercise swing the kettlebell down between the legs and allow to swing forward without extending the hips or knees. Slow the swing and return the kettlebell to the floor