Exercise of the Month – Hanging Row
A great body weight exercise to train the back, upper back and biceps. The hanging row can be performed using a smith machine or on a bar across a power rack. This exercise provides great variety to the usual back exercises.
Those less frequent to resistance training may struggle to come all the way towards the bar, however progression will see this become easier. You may find that adjust your leg position from straight legs to bent knees makes the movement easier to perform.
1. Set up the bar so it is roughly 1-1.5 meters from the floor
2. Grasp the bar with an overhand grip in a supinated position (facing upwards), with legs extending and heels on the floor
3. As you exhale, pull your chest upwards towards the bar
4. Pause for a second at the top of the movement before slowly returning to the start position, taking roughly 2 seconds to lower
5. Perform the exercise to failure or for the desired number of repetitions