Exercise of the Month – Deadlift
The deadlift is one of the three main powerlifting exercises (alongside the squat and benchpress) and is an excellent full body exercise primarily working the muscles of the lower back.
With the correct technique, this exercise can be performed by all fitness levels. Avoid deadlifts with low back problems. Be careful to keep a straight back during lifting as this may cause injury. As with all resistance exercises, ensure you use the correct weight for you. If in doubt use lighter.
1. Approach a loaded barbell and place your feet shoulder width apart beneath the bar with toes and knees facing forward
2. Bend down through the knees and hips whilst maintaining a straight back to grasp the bar just wider than shoulder width apart (you can use an overhand, underhand or alternative hand-grip if more comfortable). Use lifting straps when using heavier weights.
3. Take a deep breath and as you exhale, push-up with the legs whilst at the same time straightening the torso into an upright position. At the top of the movement, bring your chest forward by bringing the shoulder blades back towards each other
4. Lean forward from the hips and, during the same movement, bend the knees whilst maintaining a straight back as you return to the start position. Depending on the weight, either rest the barbell on the floor, or pause just before contact and raise back up again to perform another repetition
5. Repeat for the desired number of repetitions maintaining the correct form throughout