Exercise of the Month – Cable Wood Chop
This exercise can be performed using a variety of equipment. In this example we are demonstrating using a high cable pulley. The movement is a great way to train your abdominals with a focus on the oblique muscles. It also gives a good workout for your shoulders.
Select a light weight to start with and gradually build up the resistance as you progress. To ensure you are working the abdominals throughout, ensure you engaging the muscles and getting as wide a range of motion as you can.
- Connect a handle to a high cable pulley.
- With your side to the cable, grab the handle with one hand and step away so you are arms length away from the pulley, with the tension of the weight on the cable. Your outstretched arm should be aligned with the cable.
- With your feet positioned shoulder width apart, reach upward with your other hand and grab the handle with both hands. Your arms should still be fully extended.
- In one motion, pull the handle down and across your body to your front knee while rotating your torso.
- Keep your back and arms straight and core tight while you pivot your back foot and bend your knees to get a full range of motion.
- Maintain your stance and straight arms. Return to the neutral position in a slow and controlled manner.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Face the opposite direction and repeat the same number on the alternative side.